Metal Roofing – Is it Right for You?
The views of metal roofing have finally started changing in recent years. While this option was once only thought of as something you might want for a shed or barn, more people have started using it for residential and commercial roofing.
Pros and Cons of Metal Roofs
Allentown has certainly seen an increase is this option for rooftops and the same goes for surrounding areas. But what homeowners who have not yet considered this material are often wondering is – “Is it right for me?” This is as good a time as any to start weighing the pros and cons:
- Eco-friendly – For one thing, this alternative roofing material can already contain as high as 95% of recycled content. Plus, at the end of the life of the roof it is 100% recyclable.
- Safety – This material is resistant to sparks and won’t combust from lightning or wildfires.
- Durable – Although it depends on the grade, this material may withstand wind gusts as high as 140 MPH, debris from storms and other things like cracking or corrosion.
- Longevity – On average, a shingle rooftop can last up to 20 years. But a metal one can last, at the very least, 40 years. And may hold out as long as 70.
- Noise – although you can hear things amplified on a metal roof, this is also often the appeal. While hearing a branch hitting it may sound like the entire tree fell, nothing beats the soothing sound of rain on a metal roof.
- Cost – It depends on the type you get but it can be more than shingles. Of course since it lasts more than twice the lifespan with a fraction of the maintenance, it’s more like an investment.
- Performance – improper installation can lead to pooling which can lead to massive water damage. Of course the same could be said for standard roofing material.
- Color match – Repairs made down the road may result in mismatched colors. Of course the same can be sad for shingles.
Making the Choice
The best way to make the smart decision for your Allentown home is to discuss your options with a professional. At Blue Ribbon Exterior Remodeling we are here to offer advice. We can also help match you with your best options based on your wants, needs, lifestyle and budget.
The bottom line is that this is your home and you have to make the smart choice for you and your family. Let us help you with your metal roofing decision and installation.